ATTRIBUTES OF A LEADER
“AN ARMY OF SHEEP LED BY A LION, WOULD DEFEAT AN ARMY OF LIONS LED BY A SHEEP.” An OLD ARAB PROVERB
What are the actions and attributes of a leader?
What is it that makes him different from others?
1. A leader is always full of praise.
2. A leader learns to use the phrases “thank you ” and “please” on his way to the top.
3. A leader is always growing.
4. A leader is possessed with his dreams.
5. A leader launches forth before success is certain.
6. A leader is not afraid of confrontation.
7. A leader talks about his own mistakes before talking about someone else’s.
8. A leader is a person of honesty and integrity.
9. A leader has a good name.
10. A leader makes others better.
11. A leader is quick to praise and encourage the smallest amount of improvement.
12. A leader is genuinely interested in others.
13. A leader looks for opportunities to find someone doing something right.
14. A leader takes others up with him.
15. A leader responds to his own failures and acknowledges them before others have to discover and reveal them;
16. A leader never allows murmuring – from himself or others.
17. A leader is specific in what he expects.
18. A leader holds accountable those who work with him.
19. A leader does what is right rather than what is popular.
20. A leader is a servant.
I’d rather see a sermon than hear one any day,
I’d rather one would walk with me than merely point the way;
For the eye is a better pupil and more willing than the ear,
Fine counsel is confusing but example is always clear.
And the best of all the preachers are the ones that live their creed,
For to see the good in action is what everybody needs.
I can soon learn how to do it if you let me see it done;
I can watch your hands in action, but your tongue too fast may run.
And the lectures you deliver may be very wise and true,
But I’d rather get my lessons from observing what you do.
For I may misunderstand the high advice you give,
There is no misunderstanding how you act and how you live.