There are a number of different drills used to increase agility, quickness and footwork. You can utilize the drills in any order you wish in any combination you want. To ensure improvement in your overall quickness and agility you should do these at least three times per week. If done on a consistent basis these drills will improve overall quickness and agility. The Jump rope drills that follow are great for footwork and upper body strength. These are some of the favorites from college conditioning coaches.
. . . . .. . . .. . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. DOT DRILLS
The dot drill will be difficult at first, you may appear clumsy. However, if you do it on a regular basis improvement will come rapidly. You can have quicker feet in a short time.
DOT DRILL SET UP:
*The top two dots are approximately 20-24 inches apart. . . . . . . . . . A . . . . . . . . .B
The back dots are about 20-24 inches from the front . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .C
dots, with the middle dot being placed directly in the center. . . . . . . .D . . . . . . . . .E
There are (5)five separate drills and each is repeated a total of (5) times. Do each separate drill continuously, right after the other
1. Up and Back — Repeat five times.
– Start with feet on A & B.
– Jump quickly to C with both feet, then quickly to D & E.
– Come back the same way.
2. Right Foot– Repeat five times.
-Your feet from Up and Back should be on A & B. Now go to dot C with your right foot.
– Now go in order: Dot D, E, C, A, B
3. Left Foot — Repeat five times.
– You will end the Right Foot drill on Dot B. Now go to C with the left foot.
– Now go in order: Dot D, E, C, A, B
4. Both Feet– Repeat five times.
– You will end the Left Foot drill on Dot B. Now go to C with both feet.
– Now go in order with both feet. Dot D, E, C, A, B
5. Turn Around– Repeat five times.
– You will end the Both Feet drill on Dot B. Now go to C with both feet.
– Now go to D & E with both feet as in Up and Back.
– Now jump and turn 180 degrees and face the other way. You should still be on D & E.
– Hit C with both feet, and then A & B with both feet like Up and Back.
– Now turn quickly 180 degrees with feet still on A & B.
Additional Dot Drills: **Can do six repetitions or do in 15 or 30 second intervals.
*Front to Back
– Right foot starts on Dot E and left foot on Dot A.
– Proceed like a running motion, pumping arms. Right foot goes to Dot B and left foot to Dot D.
*Around the Horn
– Both feet start on Dot B
– Jump to Dot E, then D, to A and back to B.
*Figure 8 / One Leg:
– Right leg first, start on Dot A and go in a figure 8 pattern ( A,C,E,D,C,B)
– Do the same with the left leg.
DOT DRILL STANDARDS:
Under 50 seconds: Super Quick 50-60 sec: Great
60-70 sec: Average 70-80 sec: Need More Work
Drills can be done for short 15 or 30 second intervals at high intensity going for maximum speed.
Repetitions (quickness) or longer continuous sets switching between the different types of jumps (conditioning).
1. Two legs
3. 2 Right, 2 Left
4. Front Scissors -One foot in front of the other, then switch.
5. Lateral Scissors – 2 feet together, then spread. In-Out.
6. Ski Jump – 2 feet side to side, like downhill slalom.
7. Front/Back Jump – Front and back over a line.
8. Crossover – Like carioke. In front and then behind.
9. Square Jump – 2 feet in a square.
10. “X” Feet -Feet apart on A,B, together on C, apart on D, E.
11. Heel Toe -Right heel out, right toe back, left heel out,
left toe back and repeat.
13. Running One Leg Crossover -Running motion with rope. Step over line with opposite foot with each jump.
14. Kick Outs -Legs in straight, knees in locked position, kicking feet out in front
15. High Knees – Running in place, drive knees up to waist.